These Things Will Change the Way You Perceive Geomatic Services in Calgary
With the increase of land and construction development in the Calgary area for the past decades, it is no wonder why geomatic services in Calgary are in high demand.
The methods and techniques used to acquire, store, distribute, process, analyze, and show geographic data are called geomatics. Geomatics includes geodesy, GIS, GPS, hydrography, remote sensing, photogrammetry, mapping, and surveying.
But what is geomatics, and the role of its services in the city of Calgary and the surrounding area? Read on to discover more about geomatics.
What exactly is geomatics?
It is an applied science that involves gathering, integrating, managing, and analyzing geographical data.
Geomatics engineers employ various technologies for geography, land development and planning, information systems, and land surveying. Technologies include GPS, robotic instruments, laser scanning, photogrammetry, and sonar. In addition, computer Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Software Engineering are all components of Geomatics Engineering.
You may find geomatic systems in a wide range of applications, such as:
- Air navigation services
- Aeromagnetic surveys
- Airborne geophysics
- GIS applications (Google Maps, etc.)
- Estimation of crop yields
- Land reform and management
- Environmental monitoring
- Infrastructure management
- Disaster informatics
- Land-cover mapping and classification
- Seismic Interpretation
- Urban land monitoring
- Subdivision planning
- Coastal zone mapping and management
The primary emphasis of geomatics is the technology, systems, and services related to collecting, analyzing, and administering geographic data. Data collection methods are varied and can be merged or amalgamated if collected correctly.
- LiDAR – Light Detection and Ranging employs light in by a pulsed laser to detect diﬀerent earth distances to provide exact, three-dimensional data on the earth’s properties and shape. Typically used for terrain modeling.
- Geomatics and surveying – Commissioned Land Surveyors assess, map, and create official survey boundaries using GPS and total stations to create survey plans. Typically used for land development.
- Remote sensing – It studies monitoring reflected and emitted radiation to get information about elements or features from a distance. Passive and active remote sensing equipment are the two main categories.
- Location-based services – LBS are solutions focused on a mobile user’s geographic location as determined by the device’s location. LBS apps deliver services and information tailored to the user’s current location. Google Maps on a mobile device is a good example of this.
- Geographic information systems. GIS is software and computer tools for collecting and analyzing data, tagged with geographic locations.
Examples of geomatic services
Geomatic services in Calgary have a great deal of experience in the following areas and play a significant role in many industries.
- Terrain modeling and volume calculations (flood design, civil grading design, etc.)
- Survey plans for land development (subdivisions, development permits, etc.)
- Real estate transactions (Real Property Reports for residential and commercial lots)
- Engineering analysis (structural monitoring of a bridge or building)
- Control Surveys (used to tie into provincial survey control networks)
- Construction surveying (layout of roads, bridges, buildings, structures, etc.)
- Asset management (Used by the city to manage infrastructure)
A geomatics solution is one practical application in Calgary, from surveying a road, examining bridge components, reviewing a historic building, estimating material volumes, to adapting an existing structure.
Knowing these facts, you may now recognize the relevance of geomatics in various industries, which can undoubtedly help you locate the top geomatic services in Calgary for a given application.